Our message is to ask you to assist us in opening Heärt Montessori, a model Montessori Farm School in Cincinnati, Ohio where kids grow up learning self-reliance, sustainability, permaculture, meditation, mindfulness, conflict-resolution, and compassion for all beings and the earth.
Get involved in making the world a better place. For only $27 you receive an awesome beautiful organic cotton or bamboo Heärt Montessori T-shirt. Proceeds are earmarked for purchasing Montessori materials and student tuition via scholarships in time for the first class of the first school year starting in the winter of 2018 guided by lead Montessori teacher Danielle Roberts.
Click here to purchase a Heärt Montessori T-shirt.
Click here to make a Heärt Montessori donation.
Imagine a kinder world—a world that is free of violence and greed, a world that is free of poverty, homelessness, hunger, and war. Imagine a sustainable world where people treat each other and all beings with empathy and compassion, and everyone is able to live a healthy, purposeful and fulfilling life. As parents, Heärt Montessori founders Caroline Caldwell, Anna Ferguson, Brett Hornberger, Nayana Shah, and Mark Stroud envisioned this kind of world for their children and considered how they might begin to create this reality. In their vision of a peaceful world, they imagined a farm school—a holistic educational experience that connects children to the natural world and that is rooted in empathy, compassion, and peace. Thus was born Heärt Montessori. (Click here to learn more about our team.)
The founders believe this school to be a model for the future, making a meaningful difference, both locally and globally. At Heärt Montessori learning happens in an environmentally friendly and non-toxic classroom as well as outdoors in natural landscapes. Teachers, students, and families will all be united around the same goal—encouraging students to manifest the most exquisite version of their selves. By nurturing the unique nature of each child, we believe students will have the tools to thrive in an ever-changing world. Woven throughout the rigorous inquiry-based curriculum rooted in Montessori pedagogy are lessons in yoga, meditation, conflict-resolution, permaculture, and sustainability. As part of the permaculture curriculum, students learn to grow organic fruits and vegetables and are served plant-sourced organic meals provided by the school’s in-house chefs created around the harvests from the school farm. (Click here to learn more about our curriculum.)
Renee Pope-Macedo, mother of four year-old Sebastian enrolled in the school shared, “There is so much appealing about Heärt Montessori that we knew immediately this was the school for us. The nature and permaculture focus, the teachings of mindfulness and compassion, the healthy plant-based meals, and the Montessori core philosophy all make this school a dream come true.”
Why, How, What?
Why are we doing this?
Everything we do is with the purpose of encouraging students to manifest the most exquisite version of themselves through intuition, empathy, and compassion. Empathy for one’s self, fellow beings, and the planet. We believe this empowers children to be global peacemakers ready to make the world a more beautiful, just, and peaceful place.
How are we doing this?
We do this by implementing the Montessori philosophy, which honors the unique nature of each child. We honor each child by nurturing and encouraging inquiry and discovery based learning, critical thinking, conflict resolution skills, grace, and courtesy.
What are we doing?
We are a Montessori school providing a cosmic education with a holistic curriculum of core academics. We place an emphasis on self-reliance, autonomy, self-esteem, and self-awareness fostering a community and environment of empathy, compassion, and peace.
Why this School?
Heärt Montessori is an authentic Montessori School in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Montessori method developed by Dr. Maria Montessori is a child-centered approach to education that seeks to value each child’s natural interests as they develop physically, socially, emotionally, and cognitively. We are unique in that we interpret Dr. Montessori’s emphasis on peace education to extend to all beings. Our goal is to provide children with the skills necessary to make the world more beautiful than they found it. By practicing non-harming in daily life, the children develop an intrinsic sense of empathy and compassion, which empowers them to manifest the most exquisite version of themselves. Initial ages to be served are 2.5 to 6 years old. In Montessori this is known as the Primary level, more traditionally known as pre-school and Kindergarten. We imagine expanding the age range over time with a dream of accommodating students all the way through high school.
Why choose Heärt Montessori:
- We implement child-centered learning that nurtures each child’s intrinsic desire to learn.
- We provide an authentic Montessori education, integrating the teaching of all core academic subjects, not as isolated disciplines, but as part of the whole.
- We focus on the development of intuition and cultivating empathy and compassion for all beings.
- We teach the value of being of service and universal citizenship.
- We foster a deeper connection to the natural world through sustainability, permaculture, and direct experiences in nature. We have dedicated a significant portion of the curriculum to time outdoors.
- We give children freedom to express themselves so that they may manifest the most exquisite version of themselves.
- We incorporate mindfulness, meditation, yoga postures, and peace education into our academic curriculum to provide children with a holistic education.
- We honor the unique nature of each child through observation and individualized instruction.
- We teach through project-based education and there is no daily homework. We believe that because students spend all day learning in a hands-on and interactive way that their late afternoons and evenings are best spent pursuing personal interests, connecting with family members, and relaxing.
- We serve healthy, nourishing, and compassionate organic plant-based meals to students and accommodate for any food sensitivities.
- We foster our partnership with parents through regular communication and collaboration.
- Our school year starts just after Labor Day and ends before Memorial Day allowing children to enjoy a full summer of play and rest.
Our classroom is divided amongst the following academic areas: Practical Life, Sensorial, Language, Mathematics, Art, and Culture. Interwoven into these academic categories are lessons in peace education and a seasonal farm curriculum.
Heärt Montessori graduates solution-oriented critical thinkers and independent, collaborative, and compassionate leaders that are clear about their role of service and place in society. Our hands-on experiential approach, small class sizes, and environment of cooperation and creativity allow for a deep understanding of the material and the wide-ranging integration of the knowledge and skills necessary for life in the 21st century.
According to Heärt Montessori co-founder, Brett Hornberger, “This school is important because it teaches children empathy and compassion amongst one another and to all beings. By emphasizing time spent in nature, children develop a deep passion for the natural world. Not only will students leave academically strong, they will also be nourished with a love for all beings and the planet.”