How am I able to stand?
How am I able to stand with Standing Rock? Become less dependent on oil. That pipeline is being built because of us. We may protest the pipeline till we lose our voice, but what is truly going to make a difference is more people evolving spiritually that are making choices in their daily life connected to their morality and core values. This is direct action. There is nothing that more directly impacts the state of the world than making choices each day that reflect our truest morals and most authentic values. If you truly do not want this pipeline, if clean water is valuable to you, if the lives of others you have never met are important to you, how are you showing it in your daily choices? Standing for something you believe in is about living your values – and this is the kind of protest that will be heard loud and clear when more of us are doing it. If there is little or no dependency on oil, then there is no motivation for someone to build a pipeline in the first place. So, here are some things you are able to do, direct action in your daily life to be less dependent on oil:
- Choose, when possible, products packaged without plastic and recycle or re-use containers. Use less plastic and dump bottled water.
- Go for hand-me-downs for everything from clothes to furniture. Reuse.
- Buy products such as perfume, shampoo, soap, make-up, etc. that use natural ingredients over petroleum.
- Buy natural fiber clothing such as organic cotton, hemp, and linen instead of polyester, nylon, and other forms of synthetic, petroleum-derived clothing.
- Walk, bike, use public transportation, carpool, and/or consider a more fuel-efficient vehicle. Combine trips and be mindful of your driving patterns.
- Consider alternative/eco-friendly energy sources for your home or business, such as solar panels.
- Use alternatives to petroleum-based building and remodeling materials.
- Buy organic or veganic fruits and vegetables. Many fertilizers and pesticides are oil based.
- Choose when possible locally produced, seasonal fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and grains.
- Don’t use disposable items such as paper towels, plates, napkins, and plastic-wear in your home, for potlucks, picnics, camping, or festivals. Go for the re-useable versions.
- Eat a plant-based diet. This makes a huge impact as it is a choice we make three times per day. Don’t participate in animal agriculture. Ditch milk, eggs, and flesh from your diet. Get the facts on Cowspiracy.
- Be mindful about everything you consume and purchase. Do your research to live a life that is most connected to your values.
Rock with Standing Rock this Friday, November 18 from 6:30 pm-1:30 am at the Southgate House Revival. Click here for more details. The event kicks off with an all levels, beginner-friendly World Peace Yoga practice.